What do you do if….
- You have lots to say but no-one seems to be listening.
- You can’t sing in that traditional, melodic, holding a note sense of the word.
- You want to have fun and hang out with other women.
- You have a day job that drags and gives you no creative or intellectual stimulation – but plenty of time to think.
- You have kids to factor into the whole ‘follow your dreams’ thing.
You set up a 13 (or 15, or 20, depending on what you read) strong all female feminist hip-hop band in Rejkjavik. Reykjavíkurdætur (meaning daughters of Rejkjavik) was founded in 2013 and through collaborative approaches, DIY gigs and a hell of a lot of fun are making their voices heard across the city, and latterly the world – and raising eyebrows in the process. Which, given that they’ve told the Icelandic Prime Minister to ‘suck my pussy’ live on TV, written songs about anal sex and last year performed on stage at Iceland Airwaves wearing nude underwear in a bold attempt to champion body positivity, you kinda imagine is the aim.